Lerwick Baptist Church moved to its modern premises at Quoys in 2011. Before then worshippers met regularly at Clairmont Place. In the 1800s the church had been meeting in a former Methodist building in Mounthooly Street. But land was bought in 1864 by Sinclair Thomson, the founding father of Shetland’s Baptist movement. A foundation stone ceremony for a new church building was held in Clairmont Place on 27th June 1894, and an opening ceremony promptly followed in 1895. It certainly proved to be a positive step, standing the Baptist movement well for over a century. Increasing numbers came to know Jesus and hold true the Christian values of the Baptist movement.
Our regular services of worship are at 11am and 6.15pm each Sunday. The morning service has a crèche for young children and Salt Club for older ones, while the evening service is followed by teas and coffees. Usually, a special family service is held on the first Sunday morning of the month, where the format can vary, but there are activities for all and teas and coffees follow. A short communion service is held every week. Youth fellowship gatherings, which take place after evening services during school term times, are available for secondary school-age children. Find out more by visiting our Community Page.
In 2010, builders DITT Construction Ltd were appointed to build the new community-centred church at Quoys. Work commenced on the new building on 3rd May 2010, and was completed in time for a well-attended opening ceremony in August 2011. The purpose-built development offers easy access for wheelchair users, and an induction loop for those with hearing aids. But the church is not just for members. The building is available for hire to groups within the community, has plenty of open space and is fitted with modern kitchen equipment. The church is a lively place, and not just on a Sunday. If you think you would like to use part of the building for a function or event, fill in one of our Contact Forms.
4 Quoys Road, Lerwick, ZE1 0WH